Sunday, October 19, 2008

Standing on the shoulders of giants

I'm too tall to be a girl. I'm between a chick and a broad.

Julia Roberts, Actress

In the Doctor Who story, The Destiny of the Daleks, the TARDIS appears without its roof as the prop was too tall to fit under the rocky outcrop where it materialises as part of the story.

Today, I was presented with a similar issue.

Having bought the lumber for a single corner post, I found the time to work on it, and for the most part the work proceeding along swiftly and without issue, except right at the end where a piece of lumber split ever so slightly as I was putting the last screw in. I decided to just glue it back together and clamp it, but it meant that I had one corner edging still to apply before the corner post could truly be said to be complete.

Anyway, no doubt I shall be able to set to work on the other 3 corner posts and I'll give full details of their construction later on in the blog.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned "The Destiny of the Daleks" prop at the start of this post, is that whilst cutting the lumber for my corner post I realized that my TARDIS is going to be too tall to fit in my garage when it is complete! This became evident when I'd cut the two longest pieces and lay them to rest against the rear wall of the garage. At the point it was pretty clear that they were not far off the ceiling of the garage, and that the extra elevation of the roof is going to make it impossible for the TARDIS to stand up in the garage.

I shall have to ponder on this logistical problem for a time, because I'd always assumed the TARDIS wasn't that big, but at this point in time I'm looking at something in the region of 9 feet tall, yet my garage is only about 8'5" from floor to ceiling!

Looks like the old girls is a broad! ;)

No comments: