Wednesday, October 15, 2008


So, here's some pictures of the array of tools that I've purchased for this endeavour!

I've tried to work on the cheap here, so I've been buying "end of line" stuff where possible.

The orange tools are a boxed set of 6 "Firestorm" (read: Black and Decker) power tools that I picked up from Lowes for $99.50 - a saving of $100 on the retail price. 

The table saw I picked up from Lowes too, for $89.99 - which seemed pretty reasonable to me. I had actually wanted to get a Firestorm table saw that Lowes had advertised on their website but when I tried to find one, was out of stock everywhere. Imagine my surprise when I paid a visit to Lowes in Brooksville yesterday and found they had loads of the Firestorm table saw in the clearance line! That being said, the one I have was $40 cheaper than the Firestorm one, but doesn't have the dust collector.

The other pictures show the general work area, and some of the lumber I've bought for the project. Not a piece of wood has made any contact with any power tools as yet as they were a little "damp" when I picked them up, but it gets pretty hot in my garage so I expect them to dry out tout suite! 

In buying the lumber, I've already had to deviate from the instructions I had for this build. 

Firstly, it calls for Planed Square Edge cuts 6" by 1" of various lengths. According to my instructions, this notional size should come out to 5.75" by 0.75", but here in the US I've only managed to get lumber cut to 5.5" by 0.75", so I'm out by a quarter inch in one direction. However, given that there are no real plans and that the original TARDIS prop chopped and changed over the years, I don't think this is going to matter.

Secondly, I need to get hold of some plywood around 5" square for the floor of the base. Unfortunately, they only sell the ply here in panels around 4ft by 8ft, which would mean I'd need 2 panels to make up something that came to 5 ft square in total. At around $32 per panel, this would be $64 for the floor and I'd end up with an awful lot of wastage. Therefore, I've decide to make my floor out of boards of treated pine (much like floor boards) since I could get enough lumber for this for around $25 and it would be quite a bit thicker (making up for that lost quarter inch!) and much sturdier. As far as I can tell, the only issue that might come up as a result of this change is the method by which the corner posts will affix to the base, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

No comments: