Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Preserving the Great Work for the benefit of mankind!

“Self-love is the instrument of our preservation.”

Voltaire, 1694-1778

It would require an awful lot of self-love to produce enough "preservative" to cover the entire TARDIS, so I'm looking at alternatives to onanism in order to preserve the wood of the TARDIS!
"It is not how much you do, but how much love you put in the doing."

Anon

Now there's an irony, given the previous quote, because I really didn't get much done today. I had high hopes of finishing off that last corner post, but it turns out I will need a new piece of lumber and I didn't get to Lowes today.

However, I did get to Crowders to pick up some more wood glue, and a pin punch to help "sink" the tacks. I also got some more wood filler and set to filling the joins in the wood and screwholes in the roof assembly.

I must admit, I was secretly a little disappointed that the panels on the roof of my TARDIS didn't fit as flush as I'd hoped and give me a nice "edge". However, it seems that the wood filler I've bought has remedied that situation quite nicely. A liberal application and smoothing with a putty knife and I've got the nice points I wanted all along! Woot!

Having spent an hour or so filling the roof, I left it to dry off. I will probably try sanding it down a little tomorrow.

Back to the subject of preservation, I found a product on the web that will help preserve the wood and can be painted on. The only issue is that I've had to order it online so it will take a few days to turn up, and when it's applied it requires at least 48 hours before I can paint on it.

So, it looks like progress will be slower for the next few days. I shall probably start on the light boxes and the wall panels, but I'm concerned that I really should assemble my "gazebo" so I can take accurate measurements for the walls before I really get to work on those!

No comments: