Friday, October 17, 2008

The Land of the Free?

I almost forgot to mention that I eventually got a response from Hernando County Buildings Dept on the permit situation. Here's a paraphrased snippet!

Your need two copies of sealed engineered drawings as well as two site
plans. On your site plan you will make note of where the shed will be placed and
how far from your property line it will be. On your plans , the engineer
needs to state that the plans comply with the building code of 2004 with
the supplements of 2005 and 2006.

Now let us remember that I'm currently in the US - the Land of the Free, and I need to submit all this just to put up what is effectively a shed??? To add insult to injury, I also have to pay $100 and wait two weeks for the permit. Is the bureaucracy gone mad? I thought things like this would be easy in the US, but this would be an order of magnitude simpler in the UK.

Of course, I've a couple of major problems here. Firstly, I don't have any plans, let alone sealed engineered drawings (what does that mean anyway), and I've no idea what the building code for 2004 contains let alone the supplements of 2005 and 2006 - I guess 2007 was an off year for building codes! Now I know that Florida has some "inclement" weather from time to time, but I've seen boats and trailers sitting out on peoples front yard which are more likely to blow away in the wind than my TARDIS is, so quite why all of this is required for something that's around 5ft square I've no idea!

Where does this leave the project? Well, I'm continuing on unfazed at present. If necessary, I'll just keep the TARDIS in garage though I may be able to assemble it in the pool screen room without needing a permit (though somehow I doubt it!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's not a shed, it's a sculpture - you don't need permits to put up a sculpture in your yard.

If you want to look at the building code for your city, you might be able to find this on your city's (or state's) website.

BTW, Hi from The Tardis Rebuilders group.

Colin