Thursday, October 16, 2008

Phase 1 is complete!


So, the first milestone for the Type 40 Project has now been passed - the completion of the TARDIS base. Essentially, the whole project is split into subassemblies, such as:



  • The Base

  • The Roof

  • The Side Panels

  • The Doors

Now, some of these subassemblies consist several sub-subassemblies (for example, the light on the top of the Roof), but in general I am measuring progress at the higher level subassemblies.


So, the first subassembly is now complete! Ok, so it's probably most simple in construction terms but a milestone is a milestone! Now, when I say "complete" I mean structurally complete - it will still need some finishing work, such as sanding and planing, but I'm going to leave that (probably) until the other subassemblies are complete as I'd imagine getting all the pieces to fit together properly will probably require some "adjustments" and therefore I'm leaving the finishing until these adjustments have been made.

Whilst it is tempting to move upwards to the side panels and the doors, the next subassembly I will be tackling is the roof. This is technically the most challenging of the subassemblies since it contains the most sub-subassemblies (e.g. roof light, light boxes for signage etc) and it is effectively "terraced" with sloped surfaces - if I can get this done, I'll consider that I'm over the brow of the hill and rushing downwards towards completion!

An initial thought though: The base is heavy - very heavy. If I use the same materials for the roof, it will likely be quite a bit heavier than the base, and somehow I'm going to have to fit this all together eventually!




No comments: