Thursday, October 16, 2008

Another day done!

I really thought that today was going to end up disheartening.
Ok, so I was flushed with success having completed the base, but I knew that the roof was an order of magnitude more complicated, and I fully expected to run into difficultly - a lot of difficultly.
It turns out that changing material was the best decision I've made so far on this project. It was *so* much easier to work with than the pressure treated stuff in almost every way - easier to handle, easier to cut, easier to position (because it holds its dimensions better) and easier to screw together.
So, today was really a case of measuring out boards of wood, cutting them to size, and screwing them together (this time I used glue too for good measure).
I also had an absolutely brilliant idea that I think I should patent. When cutting out my pieces I wrote a little indicator on each one to serve as a "label" so that I could easily identify which piece was which when putting it all together. I chose to use letters for my labels, A,B,C etc - you may like to choose something else, like famous composers - Beethoven, Mozart, Bach...
Such brilliance......... ;)
Anyway, in a little under 3 hours, I've managed to go from some uncut boards, to this!



Of course, it isn't complete yet, but this is the main structural assembly. Next is the frame that fits on top of this and then the sloping flat panels that sit on top of that. Then I need to fill some of the gaps with some wood filler and sand down the elevations - I'm thinking that I should really make them slope ever so slightly downwards so they won't collect water.

Look at the craftsman ship of my elevations!





Ok, I know they're not perfect, but this wood working malarky isn't all about precision you know! In fact, it's almost impossible to get everything to fit absolutely precisely, so close enough is close enough.


Having constructed most of the roof, here's a shot of it sitting on top of the base. All you need do now is imagine the roof finished off, the whole of the middle, and it being painted and finished and you can see the TARDIS there right now!


One other lesson I've learned whilst undertaking this project is the importance of keeping your work area clean and tidy - I've been making sure that I'm not spreading a mess all over the garage as I need to get the car into it at the end of the day. Consequently I've been keeping my work area as tidy as I can throughout my work and I feel that it's made me more productive and less frustrated since I'm not having to hunt round all the time to find things hidden under scraps of wood, paper, body parts, etc!

So, today was not what I expected at all. Far from being disheartened, I'm growing in confidence that I'll actually be able to do this!













1 comment:

DUMAREST said...

Wow, I am very impesses with your Tardis blog, being a Doctor Who fan myself, it is a guide book for me to build my own TARDIS! Thank you.

An Admirer