Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Notional" sizes??!!?? Pah!







Earlier on, I talked about the wood being sold at a notional size of 6" x 1", which actually comes out at 5.5" x 0.75". It turns out those second set of measurements are pretty notional too!







The base of my TARDIS will be 55" square, so I figured that I need ten 5.5" wide strips of lumber all 55" long and when I put them all together I'll have 55" on both sides. At least that's how my razor sharp analytical mind went about it.





Unfortunately, I was wrong! You see, those 5.5" wide boards of wood can be up to 5.75" in width, and down to 5.4" in other cases. When I laid out all my boards, the width of my base was 55" in one direction, and 56.75" in the other!




Now, I've no faith that I'd be able to cut off 1.75" of wood from a 55" length of wood accurately, so I had some 4 x 1 and on cutting that down to 55" and substituting it for one of my 6 x 1s, I got to 54.75. I can't imagine getting any closer than this, and if I space out my boards a little I can cover that little discrepancy, because I was yet to find, it only gets worse anyway.





None of the boards I've cut are precisely flat, or square, or anything else for that matter! How you are supposed to work with a material that can't be accurately sized I really don't know, but I guess there will be a lot more bodges in the future to get this to fit!





Anyway, I've cut all the boards for the base of my TARDIS - now all I need do it assemble it. That is likely to prove to be a lot of fun given that several of them are bowed, short, thin etc, etc, etc.




I've laid out the boards on a photo here showing what it should look like (from the underside) when it is all put together!

No comments: