Saturday, April 11, 2009

Up on the Roof

"When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now"

Lyrics from "Up On The Roof" by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, as sung by The Drifters, 1962

Well, the last line of this song goes:
"Everything is all right (up on the roof)"

Sadly, in my case, this isn't true!

Yesterday I decided to take a look up on the roof of the TARDIS now that is has been exposed to the Florida weather for a week, and I didn't like what I saw. We've had some really hot weather, some quite cold weather, and some rain in the last two weeks and the roof has borne the brunt of it. The primer is cracked and peeling slightly, and I was really hoping that this would serve as a good barrier against the elements.

Fortunately, there is no actual damage per se, so I can remedy this situation without it causing too much of a delay. I've ordered some "Liquid Rubber" to help seal the roof with a thin layer of a rubber-type compound, which I will then re-prime and paint over with the final cover. This stuff is used on boats and RVs, so should hopefully serve pretty well in protecting the roof.

To finish on a more upbeat note, the last wall panel is now installed, so work can begin on the doors. Fortunately, when I had the ply for the wall panels cut last year, I got the doors done at the same time, and the construction will be, for the most part, pretty similar to that of the walls - the only complication is the little door for the phone. This will require cutting out with a little more care and precision than the holes I cut out for the window, since I wan't my phone cupboard door to fit snugly!

1 comment:

Shitpics said...
This comment has been removed by the author.