Friday, April 10, 2009

A brief treatise on wall construction!

“People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.”
Anonymous





So, I didn't really go into any detail on how the walls were put together, but it really was very simple.

Take a sheet of 8mm plywood already cut to size (about 83" x 44") by our friends at Home Depot/Lowes (I forget which now!). Layout two 6x1 (about 5.5" wide), one for each side, and a 8x1 (7.25" wide) in the middle. Then, cut ten lengths of 4x1 to fit in between the side and middle sections (like cross bars), which in my case was around 12.875".

I calculated that the "height" of each inset section was going to be 16.5", so I cut two spacers to this length to aid the laying out of the cross bars, and then loosely laid out all the pieces on top of the plywood for fitting. I was then able to "draw" in my rectangular inset sections onto the plywood and remove all the pieces, having first labelled where they originally went first, since they couldn't all be cut precisely to size.

This left me with a sheet of ply with 8 rectangles drawn onto it, 4 per side. The top rectangle needed to be cut out, since this is where the windows go, so using a jigsaw it was simple task to cut these out. Then, the cut wood was then glued down in position onto the ply and weighted down until the glue had set.

After the glue had set, I turned the ply over and using some 7/8" stainless nails, nailed all the pieces to the ply since I didn't really trust the glue on its own. On my first wall panel, I actually used screws, but once I completed it I decided this was massive overkill and that the nails would suffice.

Having completed the wall sections, they then needed treating with my wood preserver, and priming with my oil based primer before they could be fitted into the TARDIS shell.

No comments: