Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things"

Edgar Degas, French Artist, 1834-1917

Well Mr Degas, you may well be greatly respected, but I can most definitely assure you that you are talking out of your arse here!

I started off not knowing what I was doing, so therefore I should've immediately proceeded to great things, but that didn't happen!

I've been priming my construction to date with some oil-based primer that I'd had tinted blue. I bought a spray gun specifically to assist with the painting, since I thought it would provide better results and be much faster.

Well, I was wrong on both counts!

You see, I need decent thick coats of primer on my woodwork to, so that it helps weather proof the TARDIS by providing a strong base and filling in any cracks in the construction that I'd missed with filler so aid in waterproofing the thing.

Unfortunately, my spray gun is better suited to light, delicate, coats which is not at all what I wanted.

So, whilst I've "primed" the wood now, I can see that I need to go over it again, and I'm pretty certain if I use the spray gun, even more layers will be required.

So, it looks like I'm going to resort to a trusty paint brush because that will allow me to layer on more paint in less coats.

No comments: